Contact our PA Senators:
Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) to reject the Roberts’ bill (S. 2609) and any proposal that prevents mandatory GMO labeling, please encourage him to continue to stand with his constituents in Pennsylvania. To vote for mandatory, 4 simple words on a pack, “made with genetic engineering”
Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) to reject the Roberts’ bill (S. 2609) and any proposal that prevents mandatory GMO labeling, please encourage him to continue to stand with his constituents in Pennsylvania. To vote for mandatory, 4 simple words on a pack, “made with genetic engineering” Tell him you will not reelection him if he vote to accept Roberts’ bill (S. 2609) and any bill that prevents mandatory GMO labeling,
Urgent. Kucinich Urges YOU to Call Your Senator Today to Stop a Fake GMO Labeling Bill
Dennis Kucinich·Monday, June 27, 2016
The US Senate, through the munificent campaign contributions of the chemical and bio-tech industry, has brought forth a new anti-labeling bill aimed at squashing Vermont’s GMO labeling initiative which goes into effect next week.
I brought the first labeling bill to Congress in 1999. It is sad to see the grand institution of the US Senate confronted with the realities of what happens when some of its members become indebted to a corporate food industry which has poisoned the environment, ruined the land, depleted water supplies, crushed family farmers and bought the government sufficiently to conceal information about levels of GMO-related glyphosate in our food.
Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York have prepared or are preparing to respond with GMO labeling legislation which protects consumers’ right to know. While some major industry players have indicated a willingness to comply, the bulk of the corporate food industry wants to employ the doctrine of “pre-emption” to scuttle any state’s legitimate labeling efforts of food or seed, while applauding a non-existent national standard. It’s not pre-emption we must worry about, (legally sketchy in this case) it’s the pre-purchase of Senate votes, further proof of the urgent need for campaign finance reform.
Five Facts About the Senate’s New “Mandatory” GMO Labeling Bill
1. It is not a labeling bill. There is no requirement for labeling in the bill.
2. It is not mandatory. All provisions of the bill are OPTIONAL.
3. There are no penalties for non-compliance, so it is voluntary.
4. It cannot legally preempt Vermont in 2016, because Vermont’s labeling bill is effective on July 1, 2016 and the new (non-labeling, non-mandatory, no penalty, optional bill is not “effective” for at least two years.)
5. It was not the product of an internal “Senate compromise.” It was written by the GMO and bio-tech industry and greased with campaign contributions to avoid labeling GMO food and seeds.
If you already belong to the more than 90% of Americans who want food produced with GMOs to be clearly labeled, then call your Senator today and tell them to vote AGAINST the GMO fake labeling bill.
#GMO #Vermont #GMOLabeling #Monsanto #4simple